By George A. Boyd © 2015
Seekers are often unclear about how they get into touch with the Soul, and how the Soul communicates its message to them. There appears to be a progressive deepening in receptivity to the guidance of the Soul, ranging from being completely cut off from your Soul to knowing without a doubt that your Soul is directly communicating with you. These seven stages are shown below:
- Dormant – you have no connection with the Soul. You are not aware of any spiritual essence outside of your brain.
- Coincidence – your Soul communicates with you through signs, omens, and serendipitous encounters during your waking life. These seem confusing and mysterious, and you have no rational explanation for these events.
- Symbol – you receive cryptic communications in your dreams that are conveyed by symbols or images, whose meaning is not clear to you. You attempt to interpret these meanings to understand them.
- Felt sense – you have a hunch or felt sense that something is not right, or you have a felt sense that you must do something. It is insistent; sometimes it is hard to ignore this feeling. This marks the dawning of intuition.
- Still small voice – your Soul makes its ideas and wishes known to you as audible thought: you hear its voice. You cannot always be certain at this level whether this message comes from the Soul, or from some other level of your mind.
- Inner guide – your Soul appears in an archetypal or radiant guide form, and you dialog with it directly. There is some question here whether or not the form you see is actually communicating from the Soul or some other source.
- Direct reception – you unite with the Soul and you listen to it directly: you are absolutely certain that the message you receive is coming from the Soul.
You can directly communicate with the Soul through a process called Receptive Meditation. We describe seven methods for receiving guidance from the Soul in the Introduction to Meditation Course, and teach you a method called the Remembrance Method, by which you are able to communicate with the Soul over the cord of remembrance.
In our intermediate courses, the Accelerated Meditation Program—which you can take online—and the in-person Mudrashram® Master Course in Meditation, we teach a more advanced form of Receptive Meditation. In this method, you will travel in full-consciousness into the presence of your Soul, and ask your questions to it directly.
We encourage seekers to learn to know their Soul and to unmistakably identify its communications. Once you reach this state of clarity, you will be able to verify the source of these intuitive messages genuinely is coming from the Soul, and not from somewhere else. You will build your foundation of spiritual knowledge upon this bedrock of certainty and clarity—instead of signs and symbols, and voices and visions, you will know your living Soul and know for certain that it speaks to you, unequivocally.